Date:      Tue, 30 May 2000 23:33:25 -0500
From:      "Harold Pulcher - Killer Computing" <pulcher@killercomputing.com>
To:        <EmailWeb@aol.com>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Users can't loggin now!

>     My FreeBSD box was hacked cause of a vunerbailty in qmail and I can't
> login remotly or at the console anymore
> Only root console logins are possible

If you allow root logins from anything but the console you are just asking
for problems.

> It says can't find root directory
>
> What directoryu should I chmod or what to fix the problem

Some of the other fellows have commented on what could be done.

My suggestion is that you backup the user stuff you care about(and are
pretty sure that ain't hacked), and reinstall.  Even if you believe you have
gotten everything, there is always that question.

Not to scare you, but I know a lot of people that got hacked.  Usually the
script kiddies do a "rm -rf *" in some directory they believe to be
important.

Harold