Date:      Sun, 10 Jun 2001 17:54:31 -0400
From:      "Dan Langille" <dan@langille.org>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   WiFi / ESSID and wi0

I"m attending a conference on Monday where they are providing
wireless acess points.  Their instructions include:

"You will need to use a WiFi wireless network device, choose 'DMTF' as
the ESSID (Extended Service Set ID) and be configured to use DHCP
with no encryption."

The DHCP bit I can configure.

I have an Orinoco Silver card from Lucent technologies (and it has WiFi)
printed on it.  Looking at man wicontrol, I see:

     -i iface -q SSID
                 Specify the name of an IBSS (SSID) to create on a given in-
                 terface.  The SSID can be any text string up to 30 characters
                 long.

                 Note: this option is provided for experimental purposes only:
                 enabling the creation of an IBSS on a host system doesn't
                 appear to actually work.

So can I use SSID instead of ESSID?  I also have a gold card if that
makes much difference.

thanks.

--
Dan Langille