Date:      Tue, 27 Mar 2001 11:32:01 -0500 (EST)
From:      Ashby Gochenour <freebsd@intelos.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        ashbyg@ntelos.net
Subject:   syslogd and cisco

Hello Everyone,
I am trying to receive logs from a cisco router on my local network.
I have read all the mail archives and have not found an answer to my
problem. I have /etc/defaults/rc.config set to these values:

syslogd_enable="YES"
syslogd_flags="-a 192.168.50.0/24:*"

I have the following in my /etc/syslog.conf:

local7.debug                                    /var/log/router.log
local7.*                                        /var/log/router.all.log

These entries were not receiving the logs, so I tried to catch everything
coming to syslogd by:

*.*                                             /var/log/all.log

This is logging kernel logs and the norm, but I still see no cisco logs in
here.

On the cisco router I have the following in the running config:

logging 192.168.50.199

This is the FreeBSD 4.2 machine I want to log to. I did have an additional
line in the config:

logging trap debugging

Which I took out as I was not sure this was needed or not.
When I do a show log on the Cisco, I see that it is sending messages to my
host, I am just not getting them.

    Trap logging: level informational, 43 message lines logged
    Logging to 192.168.50.199, 13 message lines logged

I've tried to run tcpdump to see if the
messages are getting there, but I'm not sure what to be looking for
exactly.

I have read numerous mail archives on people having similar problems, but
have seen no answers that fix this.

Any advice, hints, fixes much appriciated!

Ashby Gochenour
Unix Administration
NTELOS
NOC