Date:      Tue, 12 Oct 1999 07:38:49 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Michael Haensel <ventrego@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   apologies and kernel crashing question

I do want to apologize for spamming the group w/an
unsubscribing question previously.  Somehow,
majordomo@freebsd.org got blocked on my e-mail
account, which is why I couldn't get any responses
from it. :)
However, as you may guess, this message also contains
a question, or it would itself be spam!  And we all
hate spam...

Is there any way to transfer the kernel from the
install boot image to the hard drive?  I have tried
installing FreeBSD 3.1 and 3.3 on my computer, and
both exhibit the same symptoms:

Install runs perfectly, from CD or FTP or MS-DOS
partition.  This makes me think the problem is
solvable.  Except for a single hiccup mounting my
CD-ROM distribution for installing, everything runs
flawlessly for any installation I choose.

Reboot, and the computer loads the kernel.
Immediately afterwards (when the bright white FreeBSD
info text would normally appear), it halts with this
message:

int=130001d5 err=c7000000 efl=04428b00 eip=01d57805
eax=01d56005 ebx=f689c3c9 ecx=c7085d8b edx=53e58955
esi=ffffcdd8 edi=e8e475ff ebp=658dc031 esp=5d01e845
cs=0000 ds=8f0f es=7d83 fs=ffff gs=00e4 ss=290c
cs:eip = ff ff ff ff . . . (all ff's)
ss:esp = ff ff ff ff . . . (all ff's)
System Halted

I have been tried adjusting my configuration in myriad
ways, but nothing will convince this computer to boot.
 It always displays the same message.

I would think it was impossible, but the computer is
100% rock-solid running from the install floppies or
CDs.  How can I fix this problem?

Thanks -
Michael