Date:      Sun, 28 Jan 2001 13:36:00 +1100
From:      "Murray Taylor" <mjtlx@ozemail.com.au>
To:        <hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Problems with install

Karen's system

A friend is attempting a new installation from my 3.4 CDROM set
(still waiting for my new 4.2 set to arrive!)
on her Gateway machine with the following hardware

mitsumi CDROM FX4010M!B  FW AM2A
Generic IDE disk type 01
Generic NEC fdd
Iomega ZIP 100

Display Adapter
 NVIDIA RIVA TNT

Hard disk controller
 Intel 8371 AB/EB PCI bus Master IDE controller

Network
 3COM Etherlink XL 10/100 PCI TX NIC  (3C905B-TX)

SCSI
 Adaptec AVA-1502 SCSI host adapter
 Shuttle EPAT external atapi adapter

Sound
 Creative Audio PCI (ES 1371, ES 1373) (WDM)

Errors
======
After setting up the partitions (several times as she had a few
arguments with Windoze needing to be where it wanted to be rather than
where she wanted to stick it!), she commenced the install by booting the
CDROM, which trogged on fine for a while then produced the following
error messages when it needed to mount (remount?) itself to install the
binaries distribution.

error mounting device /dev/acd0c on /dist: no such file or directory (2)

warning: using existing root partition. It will be assumed that you
have the appropriate device entries in /dev

At this point she cancelled the install and finished up with the
Ctrl-Alt-Del three finger salute...

My Guesses
=========
Based on my "wider" experience of FreeBSD (;-P tongue firmly in cheek)
and reading both the GENERIC config on my machine and Gregs book,
I believe that the first error is due to the fact that GENERIC doesnt
have the mcd driver installed.

The second error has me tossed though....??

Questions
=========
Could I make a GENERIC with the mcd driver and somehow replace the GENERIC
she is using?  If so, do I need to build a complete new install set
(unknown ground, I've never been near the releases stuff as my poor
little 486 DX4-100 melts during buildworld with either a reboot or memory
seg faults)?

OR

Should one of us somehow uproot all our hardware and transport it
25 kilometres so that she can do a network install via a x-over cable?

What does the second message mean?

TIA
mjtlx