Date:      Wed, 05 Oct 2005 04:27:47 +0200
From:      Alex de Kruijff <freebsd@akruijff.dds.nl>
To:        Kiffin Gish <kiffin@gish.demon.nl>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Cleanup unused files and other junk ...

On Mon, Sep 26, 2005 at 09:50:21PM +0200, Kiffin Gish wrote:
> Is there a good and dependable procedure for cleaning up the file
> systems from unused junk that just clutters valuable disc space?
>
> I am already aware of the 'periodic daily' scripts
> 'clear_tmp_enable=YES' option for the rc.conf file, but where else can
> one safely remove files.
>
> For example, is it safe to delete all distfiles?

Yes, but that doesn't mean its save. You could install a port called
portupgrade and use the util portsclean. This wil clean your working
directory, (old) distfiles, (old) packages and more.

--
Alex

Please copy the original recipients, otherwise I may not read your reply.

Howto's based on my ppersonal use, including information about
setting up a firewall and creating traffic graphs with MRTG
http://www.kruijff.org/alex/FreeBSD/