Date:      Sat, 24 Jun 95 16:50:45 MDT
From:      terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert)
To:        nc@ai.net (Network Coordinator)
Cc:        davidg@Root.COM, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD as a router

> Second question, and related. Even if an software based router has to
> wait for an entire packet frame to come in before routing it, that
> strikes me only as a latency problem, and not a thruput problem,

Depends on whether another frame is allowed to present until after the
incoming frame has been processed.

The amount of data you can recieve in the latency period on all your
interfaces (up to your routing capacity -- the real limiting factor)
dictates the amount of memory you need for buffering.

And the more of that you have, the more DRAM refresh cycles you'll
need, and the lower your routing capacity.  8-(.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@cs.weber.edu
---
or previous employers.