Date:      Fri, 25 May 2001 06:00:02 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Peter Pentchev <roam@orbitel.bg>
To:        freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: bin/27636: inetd's internal "auth" service exploits possible bug

The following reply was made to PR bin/27636; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Peter Pentchev <roam@orbitel.bg>
To: Jeremy Chadwick <jdc@parodius.com>
Cc: FreeBSD-gnats-submit@freebsd.org
Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 15:49:51 +0300

 On Fri, May 25, 2001 at 05:33:49AM -0700, Jeremy Chadwick wrote:

 > >Number:         27636
 > >Category:       bin
 > >Synopsis:       inetd's internal "auth" service exploits possible bug
 > >Originator:     Jeremy Chadwick
 > >Environment:
 > System: FreeBSD pentarou.parodius.com 4.3-STABLE FreeBSD 4.3-STABLE #0: Sat May 19 19:55:39 PDT 2001 root@pentarou.parodius.com:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/PARODIUS-SMP i386

 [snip]
 > 	sysctlbyname(), in this case, returns -1 and sets errno to
 > 	ENOENT.  sysctlbyname() is being called against a "mysterious"
 > 	sysctl variable, "net.inet.tcp.getcred."  I use the word "mysterious"
 > 	because the entry is 1. undocumented, 2. returns ENOENT, and 3.
 > 	ENOENT is not listed in the sysctlbyname(3) manpage as a valid
 > 	error code (but the kernel **DOES** return ENOENT!).
 >
 > 	Could someone please 1. fix this issue, 2. explain why ENOENT
 > 	was chosen as a return value for the kernel (when it doesn't
 > 	seem to be interacting with any files in this case), and 3. fix
 > 	the manpage so that it contains proper updated information?

 Just as a random thought: I'd guess that the inappropriate wording is
 not in choosing ENOENT, but in the (all too common) representation
 of this error as 'no such file or directory'.  From the name, it would
 seem that ENOENT was meant as a generic 'no such entity' return code
 to be used for all types of objects, not just files or directories.
 The error message was crafted that way because in the overwhelming
 majority of cases, an ENOENT error refers to a file-type object.

 In this particular case, I believe ENOENT is the appropriate error code
 for a non-existing sysctl name (and why not for MIB's, too?), and IMHO,
 the documentation (and kernel sysctl code) should be changed to refer
 to ENOENT, and not the currently used EOPNOTSUPP, for both names and
 MIB's.

 G'luck,
 Peter

 --
 I am jealous of the first word in this sentence.