Date:      Thu, 12 Jul 2001 10:41:06 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Bill Moran <wmoran@iowna.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Mall now BSDCentral
References:  <20010706144935.A61843@xor.obsecurity.org> <3B4650D0.97F10B83@bellatlantic.net> <20010707002340.B16071@widomaker.com> <20010707004731V.jkh@osd.bsdi.com> <3B49F8D5.2C9BFA73@mindspring.com> <3B4A0124.26025FB5@iowna.com> <3B4A1423.E8E365E@mindspring.com> <86ofqth6p3.fsf@hades.hell.gr> <3B4A7D9C.A64230D9@softweyr.com> <3B4B07DE.4801D208@iowna.com> <3B4B3798.31B4B8E1@mindspring.com> <3B4B407D.CD189F6C@iowna.com>

Bill Moran wrote:
> OTOH: I don't see this as causing sysinstall's partition editor
> to be bad/worthless. How many other installers allow partition
> resizing (I don't know) Just add this feature (I'm not saying
> it would be easy, I'm saying that it doesn't require scrapping
> the existing system to add it, and lack of it does not
> invalidiate the quality/usefulness of what currently exists.)

It's actually a very large job.  But last time I checked,
NT supported this in its install process, and Partition
Magic certainly supports it, and there is a cut-down
version distributed with a linux distribution (Caldera?
It would make sense: both companies are located in Utah,
just outside Provo).

> > You suggested that people keep up to date using "cvsup";
>
> Don't remember saying that, but I probably did ;)
>
> > but doing that won't result in new categories showing up
> > in "sysinstall", nor in your local packages archive being
> > updated to match your "cvsup" sources.
>
> You missed my point. I'm not defending sysintall in the
> previous paragraph. I'm defending an overall system maintenance
> utility that can be used for general stuff like changing
> network config, adding users, adding/removing software, etc.
> sysinstall does this now (whether badly or not).

I have no problem with an overall utility -- my argument
is (and has been) that the lack of registration of base
components into the packages system results in the tool
not being "overall".  Probably the best example of an
overall utility would be the Windows control panel "Add
or Remove Programs", "Windows Setup" dialog tab (which,
when you look at it, bears a strong resemblence to the
sysinstall checkbox menus).

Perhaps the biggest single thing seen in configuration
control questions for FreeBSD is how to replace sendmail
or some other program with a service-level equivalent.

> My point is only this: Do NOT assume that sysinstall is ONLY
> used during initial installation. It currently has the ability
> to help out long after the system is installed. Any utility
> that replaces it should be able to do the same.

Certainly.  It should be a general configuration control
utility.

-- Terry