Date:      Fri, 18 Jan 2013 09:25:20 -0600
From:      "Joseph A. Nagy, Jr" <jnagyjr1978@gmail.com>
To:        awarecons <awarecons@gmail.com>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org, java@FreeBSD.org, dinoex@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: www/opera ISSUE Java Plugin missing

On 01/18/13 09:06, awarecons wrote:
> As it was mentioned above: since Opera 10.50 it doesn't use Java
> directly, hence it looks for a special Java plugin file libnpjp2.so
> and ONLY!
>
> The problem is that the file libnpjp2.so residues in
> linux-sun-jre1[67] only, not in openjdk nor diablo nor jdk16 editions,
> though available is non-native only.

Are you saying the handbook instructions for enabling java in Opera do
not work, then?

> Cut from opera:plugins (java/linux-sun-jre16):
> Java(TM) Plug-in 1.6.0_38
> Architecture: non-native
> /usr/local/lib/npapi/symlinks/opera/libnpjp2.so
>
> Of course it fails to start properly and crashes after is called.
>
> A try to nspluginwrapper it fails:
>
> nspluginwrapper -v -i /usr/local/linux-sun-jre1.6.0/lib/i386/libnpjp2.so
> *** NSPlugin Viewer *** ERROR: libnpjp2.so: cannot open shared object
> file: No such file or directory
> *** NSPlugin Viewer *** ERROR: libnpjp2.so: cannot open shared object
> file: No such file or directory
> nspluginwrapper: no appropriate viewer found for libnpjp2.so
>
> Opera 12.12 rejects classic plugin file javaplugin-oji.so and
> IcedTeaPlugin.so (tested).
>
> It would be keen to update the Handbook part 7.2.5 Opera of
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/desktop-browsers.html,
> that it doesn't support java/icedtea-web anymore?
>
> All the steps from Handbook had been taken, and IcedTeaPlugin.so is
> caught by FireFox, SeaMonkey, Chromium... but Opera 12.12

You're doing something wrong, than. Opera 12.12 on my system catches
java/icedtea-web I just installed Opera, launched it, and checked the
plugin list[0,1].

[0]: http://www.joseph-a-nagy-jr.us/images/problems/opera-version.png
[1]: http://www.joseph-a-nagy-jr.us/images/problems/opera-plugins.png
--
Yours in Christ,

Joseph A Nagy Jr
"Whoever loves instruction loves knowledge, But he who hates correction
is stupid." -- Proverbs 12:1
Original content CopyFree (F) under the OWL http://owl.apotheon.org