Date:      Thu, 11 Sep 1997 11:13:45 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To:        mike@smith.net.au (Mike Smith)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PnP support

> [... strategy ...]
> > > This was generally accepted (I think Stefan had a few claraifications
> > > on it) as being the "most effective" way of going about it.
> >
> > yes unfortunately it requires changes in both the isa and PCI
> > probe/attach sequence which are not under my jurisdiction, that's why I
> > followed a different but compatible approach.
>
> The point I am making is that if you take this on, the parties
> responsible for these fields have already agreed on the course of
> action, and will be supporting you all the way.  You won't have to
> worry about jurisdiction at all.

ok. So a few more tech details. The resource management code should
then keep a private list of used resources, with functions like
haveseen_isa(), haveseen_pnp(), haveseen_pci() which check if any of
the requested resource is busy and return a success only if all are
free. Correspondingly there should be calls to make it possible to
register/unregister resource usage. Possibly we should also have
contigmalloc-like functions to return ranges of iospace etc within some
desired constraint (useful to allocate PnP address ranges etc.).

John-Mark is telling me that the current haveseen_isa() just scans some
isa_devtab_* instead of keeping info in a private structure. This is
not well suited for dynamic devices such as PnP and PCI ones, and too
much isa-centric.

Due to recent events :) , but also to the start of classes and to
the need to keep developing the sound stuff, I don't have enough
time to also rewrite this resource allocation stuff which is a
necessary requirement to change the probe/attach sequence as
discussed in [strategy] above, so is there any volunteer ?

	CHeers
	Luigi