Date:      Wed, 29 Aug 2001 14:24:21 +0200
From:      Alexander Langer <alex@big.endian.de>
To:        Maxim Sobolev <sobomax@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ports.conf

Thus spake Maxim Sobolev (sobomax@FreeBSD.ORG):

> Ok, now I've read the thread and can give my comments on the topic. To me
> it seems that ports.conf file isn't really necessary, because it would be
> just another file that gets unconditionally included from the bsd.ports.mk,
> perhaps we could just merge content of hypotetic ports.conf with
> bsd.ports.mk instead. This would solve "where to put it" and "at which
> point to include it" problems. Comments?

No, as David O'Brien pointed out:
bsd.port.mk is probably shared between machines, /etc/ports.conf
is not.

BTW, when I just rethought the patch, and I don't want
$PORTSDIR/ports.conf included.
It should contain EXAMPLES only anyways, so it's better a
ports/examples/ports.conf (or similar).

I only want this added to bsd.port.mk:

> > +.if exists(/etc/ports.conf)
> > +.include </etc/ports.conf>
> > +.endif

This is always correct, since it is in the admin's hand to
create this file.

(I personally also don't want this stuff added to bsd.port.mk, since
committers should be able to add examples to ports.conf w/o explicit
approval by portmgr.)

This include should happen at the very beginning of bsd.port.mk,
so it's also possible to set utilities like $GZIP to something
different.

Reasonable defaults are still set in bsd.port.mk, while
examples/ports.conf is just an example file for options the
user might want to set, e.g. XFREE86_VERSION=4 or WANT_GNOME.

Does this sound better to you?

Alex