Date:      Fri, 20 Apr 2001 15:23:33 +0400 (MSD)
From:      Alexey Koptsevich <kopts@astro.ioffe.rssi.ru>
To:        Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
Cc:        scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: IDE RAID

Mike,

> > Sure, only raid5 is interesting for me. Promise SuperTrak (raid5)
> > controllers are available here.
>
> Hmm.  RAID5 isn't really all that wonderful; you pay a high price in both
> cost and performance to do all those XOR calculations.

OK, for the moment we use software mirror via vinum, SCSI RAID controller
and especially discs are a bit expensive :)

> Yes, it is.  I haven't had any time lately to test it, but it's known to
> work.

BTW, where can I read about configuration of the 'twe' array? E.g., how
the discs are seen by the OS? How can I partition them? Can I have
different types of RAID on the same array, e.g., half for RAD5 and half
for mirror?

Thanks a lot,
Alex