Date:      Sun, 10 Sep 2000 10:48:39 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Gene Harris <zeus@tetronsoftware.com>
To:        Otter <otterr@telocity.com>
Cc:        Odhiambo Washington <vedette@iconnect.co.ke>, Salvo Bartolotta <bartequi@inwind.it>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: PORTMAP

The answer to your questions depends on the dameon you wish to
restart.  However, generally speaking, you can use kill -HUP <pid> to
restart/reinitialize a daemon.  To use portmap as an example, try using the
command 'ps waux | grep portmap'.  You should get back a line that looks like:
daemon   420  0.0  0.2   832  412  ??  Is   12:28AM   0:00.00
/usr/sbin/portmap, which gives the pid of 420.

You can kill the portmapper with kill -9 420.  To restart portmap, issue the
command /usr/sbin/portmap.  If you want to restart/reinit, do kill -HUP
420.  This allows you to work with portmapper while the server remains up.  Of
course, if someone is using a service that depends on the mapper, then you
may crash them if you restart the service.  NFS comes to mind.

HTH,
Gene Harris

On Sun, 10 Sep 2000, Otter wrote:

> [...]

         Tetron Software, LLC
    http://www.tetronsoftware.com
FreeBSD  Apache  PostgreSQL  Oracle 8/8i
Windows 95/98/NT  Visual C  Visual Basic