Date:      Mon, 25 May 1998 15:55:16 +1000 (EST)
From:      Phil Chadwick <syspmc@dtir.qld.gov.au>
To:        freebsd-smp@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        nanbor@cs.wustl.edu
Subject:   Re: pppd difficulties after recent make

Nanbor Wang writes:

> Hi All,
>
> This may not be smp specific.  It may not be a problem at all.  But
> I'm desparate.. ;(
>
> I haven't been able to keep up with current for quite some time and
> was running current as of this Feb. on a Micron dual PPro box
> connecting to my school using a 3Com ImpactIQ TA with kernel ppp.  It
> worked perfectly for me until two days ago when I cvsup'ed the latest
> source and did a make world and rebuilt my kernel.
>
> After rebooting my machine, I found that pppd stop working anymore.
> Well, it can still establish connection with my school's CISCO AS5300
> in 128k but not a single packet can get thru the connection.  If I
> drop the connection speed down to 56k, then it works more or less.  I
> say that because I get tons of "silo overflow" messages on the
> console.  Further investigation shows that sometime, I get "CPP
> Config-Request timeout" when connecting in 128K.  Tried "noccp" option
> with pppd but no luck.
>
> Using NT to connect shows there's no hardware problem.  As I haven't
> updated my system and keep up with the development of current for
> several months, I guess this may be something obvious to you guys.
> Can anyone please give me some hints on where to look for the problem?
> Any help will be greatly appreciated.
>
> If this is not the right place to raise this question, please let me
> know and redirect me to the proper mailing list.
>
> TIA,
>
> Nanbor

>From a 3.0-current SMP kernel built from the CVS tree as at April 20,
1998, HylaFAX's faxq daemon (which worked from the August 12, 1997
kernel) is broken on my Tyan Tomcat III.  It goes into a CPU bound
infinite loop at about the time it should be initialising a modem.
No kernel trace yet, and I haven't tried a UP kernel, but first wild
guess is a kernel tty code bug.

Phil
--                                             Phil Chadwick
Email:  syspmc@dtir.qld.gov.au       ,-_|\     Supervisor, UNIX Support
Phone:  +61 7 3247 9239             /     *    Department of Training
Fax:    +61 7 3247 9111             \_,-._/    and Industrial Relations