Date:      Sat, 29 Oct 2011 23:08:14 +0200
From:      Torfinn Ingolfsen <torfinn.ingolfsen@broadpark.no>
To:        freebsd-ppc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Loader/installer problems - can't load 'kernel'

On Fri, 28 Oct 2011 14:01:05 -0400
Chris Carr <carrch@mac.com> wrote:

> Thanks for trying to help, Torfinn!
>
> Specs of machines:
> Powerbook G4 1.5Ghz, 1.25gb RAM, NVIDIA GeForce FX Go5200
> iMac G3 (Summer 2001) 600MHz, ATI Rage 128

> The "load sbp" command (entered at OF boot loader) results with: can't
> find 'sbp'

Try 'load kernel/sbp' instead. Does 'ls' work (or is it 'lsdev'?); can you see any files on the CD?

> I've tried a partition on my Powerbook's internal HD with BSD 9.0
> liveCD on it and it's not cooperating either.

What kind of partition? In the old days (FreeBSD 3.x, 4.x) it had to be a MS-DOS (ie. FAT) partition; today I haven't tried, so I don't know what kind of partition
can be / needs to be.

> Does DiskUtility or (command line) asr work for loading necessary boot
> blocks on to a device?

Sorry; I don't know.

> The dd command does a device/block copy which is somehow different
> than an asr restore?

I don't know what an "asr restore" is; sorry.

> I'm just confused as to what is going on since open firmware can see
> all the files on HFS (or HFS+), OF can start the boot loader, but then
> the boot loader loses all knowledge of any filesystems.

So, the 'ls' (or 'lsdev') command from the boot loader doesn't work?
--
Torfinn