Date:      Mon, 27 Nov 2000 11:35:10 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        stable@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: rawio 1.1 on FreeBSD 4.2-BETA?

[addressed to David O'Brien, who prefers not to have his name on the
To: line]

On Sunday, 19 November 2000 at  8:43:24 -0800, David O'Brien wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 19, 2000 at 03:14:19PM +1030, Greg Lehey wrote:
>> On Saturday, 18 November 2000 at 15:37:39 +0100, Brad Knowles wrote:
>>> Greg,
>>>
>>> 	I'm not sure if you've heard complaints about this lately, but I
>>> thought I'd drop you a line and see if you had any ideas what I might
>>> be doing wrong.  I did some searches of the archives for -questions,
>>> -stable, and -current, and couldn't find anything that related to
>>> "rawio AND random.h".
>>
>> There is a PR.  I'm not sure under what circumstances it fails.
>
> http://bento.FreeBSD.org/errorlogs/4-full/ shows `rawio' isn't buildable
> and won't be offered in package form in 4.2-RELEASE.  One of the
> responsibilities of a port's maintainer is to check and make sure the
> port is buildable by checking this URL right before a release.

First I've heard of it.  Where is this documented?

> When I passed maintainership over to you I did expect you would keep
> the port buildable...

When you passed maintainership over to me, I did expect you would have
told me if it were not buildable.  I was also rather surprised that
you created patches rather than giving me feedback.

The problem here is that your patch refers machine/random.h, which is
not present in the base binary distribution.  You should have used
sys/random.h.

Greg