Date:      Mon, 17 Nov 2014 23:31:28 +1100
From:      andrew clarke <mail@ozzmosis.com>
To:        Mark Tinka <mark.tinka@seacom.mu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: freebsd-update - 10.0 to 10.1

On Mon 2014-11-17 08:40:06 UTC+0200, Mark Tinka (mark.tinka@seacom.mu) wrote:

> I'm upgrading from FreeBSD 10.0 to 10.1, using freebsd-
> update.
>
> freebsd-update is prompting me to re-install all my Ports. A
> little surprised by this given I'm not upgrading between
> major versions.
>
> Is there anything I'm missing?

The FreeBSD Handbook says:

"Generally, installed applications will continue to work without
problems after minor version upgrades."

https://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/updating-upgrading-freebsdupdate.html#freebsdupdate-portsrebuild

Which is somewhat at odds with the message you saw from
freebsd-update:

"Completing this upgrade requires removing old shared object files.
Please rebuild all installed 3rd party software (e.g., programs
installed from the ports tree) and then run "freebsd-update install"
again to finish installing updates."

>From what I gather, the freebsd-update message needs fixing/clarification.

Regards
Andrew