Date:      Mon, 21 Jul 1997 18:17:55 -0700
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        mlghome@home.com
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: make world fails at bin/ls/stat_flags.c after 2.2.2 + cvsup's

In article <33D30E77.41C67EA6@home.com>,
Marty Gordon  <mlghome@home.com> wrote:

> I've been so please with cvsup and all that I tried doing one for
> 'ports-all'. Basically I added that collection to the stable-supfile in
> my previous message.

Uh-oh ...

> What it seemed to do when it got to the ports, was
> delete loads of files.

Yeah. :-(  Sorry about that.  I have high-priority plans to make
that much harder to do.

Here's the deal.  To get 2.2-stable, you've been using "tag=RELENG_2_2"
somewhere in your supfile.  That's fine for the main source tree
(src/*).  But unfortunately, that tag doesn't even exist for the
ports tree (ports/*).  So CVSup assumes that all the files in
ports/* pre-date that tag, and it deletes them all.  In CVSup's
defense, I can only say that CVS will do exactly the same thing to
you.  Nevertheless, this has been clobbering too many people lately,
so I'm going to have to do something about it.

In the short term, I'll try to add big loud warnings to the sample
cvsupfiles and the handbook and other places where people might
notice.  In the longer term, I will add some knowledge of the valid
tags to the CVSup server config files so that it can make it much
more difficult for users to make this mistake.

One thing you and others might wish to do is to use the "-d" option
on your cvsup command line (new in version 15.1).  See cvsup(1) for
details.  This option allows you to give it a safety limit of some
number of files that can be deleted in a single update run before it
gets suspicious and quits.  It's not a cure-all, but it can limit
the damage.  (This idea comes from phk's CTM package.)

To recover your ports tree again, just add "tag=." to the cvsupfile
line(s) associated with the ports tree, e.g.:

    ports-all tag=.

This will override the default tag for just the ports collection(s).
(The ``.'' isn't punctuation; it really must be there in the file.)

John