Date:      Mon, 12 Apr 1999 17:51:16 +1200
From:      "Dan Langille" <junkmale@xtra.co.nz>
To:        "Jason C. Wells" <jcwells@u.washington.edu>
Cc:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: /etc/defaults/really_defaults/really_really_defaults

On 11 Apr 99, at 12:58, Jason C. Wells wrote:

> My vote from userland is scrap /etc/defaults. Change mergemaster a bit.
> Use rc and rc.conf and be done with it. Let make world handle rc but
leave
> rc.conf.

Neah.  The new rc.conf is way easier.  With 3.1, you specify the non-
default values.  If you have a problem with the system, you have a much
smaller file to deal with.  If you have to show someone in a mailing list
what your configuration is, it's only a few lines instead of the whole
file.

But I take it that isn't your beef.  it's with the existance of the
/etc/defaults/rc.conf file.  I see.  But at least it's easier having it
here so we know what values we can override in rc.conf.

cheers.

--
Dan Langille
The FreeBSD Diary