Date:      Wed, 22 Nov 2000 03:08:59 -0800
From:      dmp@aracnet.com
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Disklabel lost

I did something really stupid, I tried installing Windows 2000 on the
same disk as FreeBSD, after I had installed FreeBSD.  (What can I say
sometimes I put my mind in gear before the hampster is in the wheel).
Win2k barfed on my UDMA/66 controller, so it wouldn't install, but when
I tried going back to FreeBSD, it barfed on me saying it couldn't find
any of my partitions (not even the root partition).

So I load the fixit shell off the CD (using the live filesystem disc).
dmesg output says my disk is ad4, so I set to poking at the thing:

Fixit# fdisk -1 ad4
The data for partition 1 is:
sysid 165,(FreeBSD/NetBSD/386BSD)
    start 63, size 40088097 (19574 Meg), flag 80 (active)
        beg: cyl 0/ sector 1/ head 1;
        end: cyl 1023/ sector 63/ head 15
Fixit# disklabel -r ad4
disklabel: bad pack magic number (label is damaged, or pack is unlabeled)
Fixit# disklabel ad4
# /dev/ad4:
type: unknown
disk: amnesiac
label: fictitious
flags:
bytes/sector: 512
sector/track: 63
sectors/cylinder: 1008
cylinders: 39770
sectors/unit: 40088160
rpm: 3600
interleave: 1
trackskew: 0
cylinderskew: 0
headswitch: 0           # milliseconds
track-to-track seek: 0  # milliseconds
drivedata: 0
	8 partitions:
#        size   offset    fstype   [fsize bsize bps/cpg]
  c: 40088160        0    unused        0     0         # (Cyl.    0 - 39769

So if I'm reading this correctly, the disklabel is gone?  Is this where
I reinstall FreeBSD, or do I have a chance of restoring?