Date:      08 Jul 2001 21:20:04 -0500
From:      chromexa@ovis.net
To:        Bill Fumerola <billf@mu.org>, Greg Black <gjb@gbch.net>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   re: Re: FreeBSD Mall now BSDCentral

> ** Original Subject: Re: FreeBSD Mall now BSDCentral
> ** Original Sender: Bill Fumerola <billf@mu.org>
> ** Original Date: Sun, 8 Jul 2001 20:45:58 -0400

> ** Original Message follows...

> On Mon, Jul 09, 2001 at 06:59:14AM +1000, Greg Black wrote:
>
> > Perhaps this labelling can be in the form of information on the
> > FreeBSD.ORG web site that lists distributions that merit the
> > "official" label.
>
> so this list would be controlled by those who can make changes
> to the FreeBSD web site, right?
>
> well, then lets start the list up:
>
> 	$1,000 - in the list
> 	$2,000 - I'll bold your entry
> 	$2,000 - I'll put your entry at the top
>
> .... or maybe we should remind ourselves that the only thing
> official about FreeBSD is the code. Let the CD vendors figure
> out ways to attract customers from each other, lets worry more
> about ways to attract 'customers' from other operating systems.
>
> --
> Bill Fumerola - security yahoo         / Yahoo! inc.
>               - fumerola@yahoo-inc.com / billf@FreeBSD.org

> I am not happy with reducing things to a purely capital oriented system. I don't know if this will work or  not. It just isn't that simple. To attract people from other operating systems, FreeBSD should be easy to install, configure and use. If I have to type apparent gibberish at something to get it to go it should be explained. Agreed I might even pay a few Buckeroos extra for that. I want my pharmacist down the street to understand it, and know the difference between commands the way (s)he knows the difference betweeen Tylenol and Vicodin ES and when each should be used etc.

But expecting money to solve all problems is silly. If it is difficult to install, configure and use a few very angry people who made the large payment. This is the big thing. So I want to see it work nicely. I want to hear people say: "Well I know why the system froze up...and I fixed it" and not "well I dunno I deleted this or I did this and it magicly worked.and things got better. So I think and feel; this is needed rather than turning into capitalist romantics and expecting all will turn out well.

Have Fun,
Sends Steve