Date:      Wed, 11 Mar 1998 08:19:01 -0600 (CST)
From:      "Paul T. Root" <proot@horton.iaces.com>
To:        jacques@wired.ctech.ac.za (Jacques Hugo)
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: amanda and why?

In a previous message, Jacques Hugo said:
> Hi there
>
> Anybody here using amanda, and if you do, is
> it any good?  I would just like to use it
> to backup a few fbsd and linux boxes.
>
> Thanks
> -Jacques

I use it in 2 installations. One group with a DDS tape drive on
a FBSD box. And 1 with an Exabyte stacker on a Solaris box. Both
setups backup a mix of Solaris and FreeBSD. It organizes your backups
efficiently, deciding what level is required. Insuring a level 0 in your
dumpcycle which is less than or equal to the number tapes in your
cycle.

Restores are simple: amrestore -p conf host fs | restore -ibf -

And it beats the *#%$ out of trying to support your
own scripts (which I finally successfully abandoned).

For best performance and density of tape, it's best to have a
holding disk to store dumps to before it's written to tape. That
way, you're not waiting for a (possibly) slow tape and you keep
it streaming when you do. Also it allows for multiple dumps to
occur at once (written to disk).

It can run into the 2gig file size limitation as it can't setup
a FIFO to dump to holding and pull off to tape at the same time.
I'd say that's minor. If there it can't put something to disk it
can be configured to go directly to tape.

Give it a shot. It's a cool program.

--
"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition
 from mediocre minds."          --Albert Einstein