Date:      Mon, 20 May 1996 16:13:46 +0200
From:      Angelo Turetta <ATuretta@stylo.it>
To:        "'Gary Aitken <garya@ics.com>'" <garya@ics.com>
Cc:        "'freebsd-hackers'" <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: user ppp with dedicated line

this format, some or all of this message may not be legible.  Contact your
mail administrator for information about upgrading your reader to a version
that supports MIME.

------ =_NextPart_000_01BB4667.178616A0

as Nate wrote:
>By starting packet mode earlier with your patch I think are essentially
>'forcing' the remote site to respond to you.  If it's necessary to get
>working then it's an acceptable hack, but I don't think it's generically
>applicable.
>
>> 3. I'm having trouble getting ppp.linkup to be read when used with a
>> dedicated line.  It appears to be totally ignored when ppp is
>> started as follows, with the above mods:

>I think it might be ignored because of the above hack.  PPP.LINKUP is
>called by OsLinkup in IpcpLayerUp, but I'd have to take more time to
>figure out when that is called.

I've been in the same trouble before.
In -dedicated mode, OsLinkup is called upon a low-to-high transition of the
DCD, so if you start ppp with the line already up between the two modems
(that's almost always the case for a 56 KB, and even for an analog leased
line with a couple of V34 modems -that was my configuration until 2 weeks
ago-), it will never start the protocol.

With the V34 modems, a simple solution would be to issue 'kill -TERM
nnnn;ppp -dedicated xxxx' (on exit, ppp lowers the DTR, so the modems will
hang and then retry the connection, this time detected by ppp)

Another annoying bug is that it doesn't reset correctly its internal
state-machine on a DCD drop, so if the carrier goes down it will not put
itself in a state where a new low-to-high transition restarts the protocol.
If this happens, you are forced to kill the process and restart it.

The right fix, of course, is different: ppp should check the state of the
DCD during the startup phase, and trigger the OsLinkup event accordingly.

Unluckily, I'm not expert enough yet with BSD programming to try and do the
patches myself. And I'm going to drop my analog leased line soon, so it's
going to be harder to test.

Hope this helps.

Angelo.

 Angelo Turetta                         mailto:aturetta@stylo.it