Date:      Sat, 24 Aug 2013 18:59:18 +0200
From:      Jeremie Le Hen <jlh@FreeBSD.org>
To:        RW <rwmaillists@googlemail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: weekly periodic security status

On Sat, Aug 24, 2013 at 02:38:15PM +0100, RW wrote:
> On Thu, 22 Aug 2013 22:49:58 +0200
> Jeremie Le Hen wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I plan to commit the attached patch.  This allows the turn the daily
> > security checks into weekly checks.  You do this by adding the
> > following to periodic.conf(5):
> >
> >     daily_status_security_enable=NO
> >     weekly_status_security_enable=YES
> >
> > All other $daily_status_security_whatever variables will be renamed to
> > $security_status_whatever.  The old variable name is supported but
> > prints a warning.
> >

> All daily_status_security_enable does is control whether the security
> scripts are run from daily, but security is a periodic dirctory in its
> own right.
>
> You can simply set daily_status_security_enable=NO and put a
> separate security entry in crontab (or anacrontab).   You can also
> symlink the lightweight security scripts in a separate directory and
> run those on all, or some, of the days you don't run the full security
> pass.
>
> In short the current support is more powerful and flexible than
> anything suggested in this thread so far.

Nothing of what you say is wrong, but culturally I think it is more
common to configure things with variable assignments in configuration
files a-la rc.conf(5), rather than creating directories and symlinks.

I don't say one or the other is better, it is just a matter of
tradition.

--
Jeremie Le Hen

Scientists say the world is made up of Protons, Neutrons and Electrons.
They forgot to mention Morons.