Date:      Sun, 18 Oct 1998 10:34:29 PDT
From:      "Robert Helmer" <frumpler@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: simple networking problem...(hopefully :) )

>From yurtesen@turkey.ispro.net.tr Sun Oct 18 09:45:44 1998
I am using user ppp.
The host machine is specified in ppp.conf, and there are
two computers which connect ppp to the host and use the host as their
default gateway.

Is there anywhere else I should explicitly set the gateway?
(btw, I can communicate with the other machines on the network, and
if I ping, say, www.freebsd.org, the domain name server on the host
will translate the name; but it will not receive any packets)

thanks!
-form

>did you give your machine as gateway in your terminals?
>-alias should work are you trying kernel ppp or user ppp?
>

>On Sun, 18 Oct 1998, Robert Helmer wrote:
>

>> Thanks for your help, everybody!
>> Turns out the provider gave us the wrong numbers! Everything is
>> hunky dory now!
>>
>> Well, almost :) ... I'm still having trouble getting NAT/aliasing/
>> masquerading/ whatever you wanna call it working... the ppp one
>> doesn't seem to work at all for me (I tried a -alias in my
ppplogin.sh
>> and tried taking that out and putting in alias enable yes in the
>> ppp.conf... neither seemed to have any effect. I can ping/telnet/ftp
>> other machines on the local network, but as soon as I try to go
>> through the gateway the outside world, nothing is returned... I'm
>> messing with natd on another terminal as I type :) so I'll see how
>> that goes.. any comments/suggestions on which is the better choice,
>> or maybe something I'm missing with ppp?
>>
>> Thanks again!
>>
>> BTW - please reply to frumpler@hotmail.com, as I am not on the
mailing
>> list :(
>>
>> -form
>>

>> >I'll take a crack from what I see here. Are you pinging from your
ppp
>> >connection? If so remember the 10.x.x.x network is reserved for
private
>> use
>> >and if your default route which is your gateway of x.x.107.206 is on
>> another
>> >subnet in this case I am guessing is a public block and a whole
other
>> subnet
>> >you wont get any routing, your default gateway would have to be
>> configured
>> >for something in the 10.2.5.x block, and then maybe aliasing that
block
>> >your ether card doing some sort of NAT translating. Right now your
ppp
>> >connection really doesnt have anyway of finding the x.x.107.206
>> network. Now
>> >on the other hand if you tried pinging locally from the machine it
>> should
>> >work because your ethernet card has a route out.
>> >
>> >Forgive me if I happened to answer this wrong, just trying to help.
>> >
>> >Ryan

Netif
>> =>
>> 34