Date:      Thu, 20 May 1999 01:56:11 -0400
From:      W Gerald Hicks <wghicks@bellsouth.net>
To:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@picnic.mat.net>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: c9x (new ANSI C)

[my noise to -chat]

> I keep hearing the comment that OO lets you visualize programming more
> "naturally".  Please find me a single 4 year old that forms ideas on how
> to get things done (like dress himself) using an object oriented
> approach.

Similar to Stepanov's criticism?

http://www.bml.ca/marine/stepanov.htm

(An excerpt from this interview)

Q: I think STL and Generic Programming mark a definite departure from
the common C++ programming style, which I find is almost completely
derived from SmallTalk. Do you agree?

A: Yes. STL is not object oriented. I think that object orientedness is
almost as much of a hoax as Artificial Intelligence. I have yet to see an
interesting piece of code that comes from these OO people.

[snips...]

I find OOP technically unsound. It attempts to decompose the world in
terms of interfaces that vary on a single type. To deal with the real
problems you need multisorted algebras - families of interfaces that span
multiple types. I find OOP philosophically unsound. It claims that
everything is an object. Even if it is true it is not very interesting
- saying that everything is an object is saying nothing at all. I find OOP
methodologically wrong. It starts with classes. It is as if mathematicians
would start with axioms. You do not start with axioms - you start with proofs.
Only when you have found a bunch of related proofs, can you come up with
axioms. You end with axioms. The same thing is true in programming: you have
to start with interesting algorithms. Only when you understand them well,
can you come up with an interface that will let them work.

Cheers,

Jerry Hicks
wghicks@bellsouth.net