Date:      Mon, 22 Jan 2001 15:24:31 -0600
From:      Oscar Ricardo Silva <oscars@mail.utexas.edu>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Install of 4.2 fails with "No /boot/loader"

I've seen some mention of the "No /boot/loader" message but haven't really
found any fix.  Here's what's happening:  We have been attempting to
install FreeBSD 4.2-RELEASE on a pc but after the install, we get the
following:

No  /boot/loader

 >>FreeBSD/i386 BOOT
Default: 0:ad(0,a)/kernel
boot:
No /kernel

 >>FreeBSD/i386 BOOT
Default: 0:ad(0,a)/kernel
boot:

The machine is a 650MHz Pentium III, with 256MB of RAM one 3COM PCI
3C905C-TX and the following disk configuration:

	Primary master:		IBM DPTA-373420
	Primary slave:		IBM DPTA-373420
	Secondary master:	IBM DPTA-373420
	Secondary slave:	Toshiba CD-ROM

The IBM drives have a capacity of 32864MB.  In the BIOS, I've tried setting
the mode on the disks to:  Auto, LBA and LARGE.  In addition, when using
FDISK in the install, I set each disk to dangerously dedicated.  The
operating system is installed on the primary master.  I've also played
around with the size of the root partition, initially setting it to 5GB but
now going down to 2GB.  After each install, we get the same error mentioned
above.

Any thoughts?  Suggestions?  Pointers?

Any help would be extremely appreciated.

Thanks,

Oscar