Date:      Fri, 25 May 2001 23:00:55 +1000 (EST)
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        Andre Albsmeier <andre.albsmeier@mchp.siemens.de>
Cc:        will@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: kern/10828: 3.1-STABLE freezes when writing to floppydrive without medium

On Fri, 25 May 2001, Andre Albsmeier wrote:

> On Thu, 24-May-2001 at 18:47:24 -0700, will@FreeBSD.org wrote:
> > Synopsis: 3.1-STABLE freezes when writing to floppydrive without medium
> >
> > State-Changed-From-To: open->feedback
> > State-Changed-By: will
> > State-Changed-When: Thu May 24 18:47:16 PDT 2001
> > State-Changed-Why:
> > Is this still a problem?
>
> The 'write without a medium error' seems to be fixed. However,
> the following procedure freezes the machine when done with
> a write protected floppy:
>
> mount -t msdos /dev/fd0 /mnt
> cp /etc/printcap /mnt
> cd /mnt
> ls -l

Is this in 4.3?  I would have thought that there would be no problems
(except lots of retries) until unmount.

ffs has some related fixes in -current (ffs_fsync() now actually waits
for all I/O activity to complete when it is requested to do so; thus
it waits for write protected floppies to become un-write protected,
or forever for uncorrectable write errors).  ffs in 4.3 and and msdosfs
in all versions are missing this fix.  This probably causes worse
things than waiting forever to happen at unmount time.

Bruce