Date:      Thu, 18 Sep 1997 06:18:59 PDT
From:      "Douglas Jardine" <djardine@hotmail.com>
To:        toor@dyson.iquest.net
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: LRU implementation

>From toor@dyson.iquest.net Mon Sep 15 13:02:41 1997
>>
>None of the above.  One way to describe it is "Not used recently
>very often" :-).  There are 2nd chance FIFO queues also.

Umm. Can somebody please interpret this for me! I assume FreeBSD
looks at the referenced bit to decide the "not used recently" part,
but how does the "very often" part work? Where do the FIFO queues
fit in the overall scheme? (If this is explained someplace a pointer
will suffice).

>> The 4.3BSD book says that 4.3BSD uses 2-handed CLOCK but the 4.4BSD
>> book is silent on this topic. Did FreeBSD diverge from 4.4BSD in
>> this aspect? Does 4.4BSD use a 2-handed clock too?
>>
>FreeBSD is very different from 4.4BSD.  As I remember, 4.4BSD is
>a FIFO with 2nd chance.

I am not very familiar with 2nd-Chance FIFOs so can somebody elaborate?
As Joerg points out, on i386 the referenced bit is
supported by hardware. But that by itself can't be used to construct
a FIFO. So how is the FIFO formed? Once the FIFO is formed, I guess
second chance would mean don't throw away the pages with referenced
bit set. What is done with these pages - i.e. are they queued to the
tail of the FIFO or left in place or ...?

Thanks. -dj