Date:      Fri, 14 Jun 1996 02:38:13 +0100
From:      "Gary Palmer" <gpalmer@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Mark Stout <mcs@vpm.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: netstat: kvm_open: cannot read IdlePTD

Mark Stout wrote in message ID
<199606140120.SAA01164@vpm.com>:
> The subject says it all.  I've looked and can't find the meaning of
> this error.  I assume it's a permissions problem.  The trouble is
> the command is run as root.

Did you strip the kernel image? Do the devices /dev/mem and /dev/kmem
exist? They should be something like:

crw-r-----  1 root  kmem  -   2,   0 Mar 28 23:40 /dev/mem
crw-r-----  1 root  kmem  -   2,   1 Mar 28 23:40 /dev/kmem

When something stops working like this, you have to ask yourself what
you did between now and when it last worked. This is why a lot of
people with large scale admin setups keep logs of things they do as
root (or whatever acct they use for doing system administration) so
that if something breaks, they can see what they've done recently.

Gary