Date:      Tue, 8 Dec 1998 12:49:34 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Jason C. Wells" <jcwells@u.washington.edu>
To:        Jon Charette <jc@turbinegames.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: upgrading from 2.1.5 to latest?

On Tue, 8 Dec 1998, Jon Charette wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I am taking over a sysadmin position here at my company.  Currently, my
>firewall and main mail host are both running 2.1.5.  Obviously, these
>should be upgraded.
>
>Where should I start?  Obviously, these machines cannot be down for very long.
>How difficult is it to upgrade FreeBSD?
>
>Any pointers on where to start are more than appreciated.

2.1.5 is a good system. There are some here that have report uptime of
500+ days with it.

It is not terribly hard to upgrade. You can do it many ways.

Run '/stand/sysinstall' which I have done with little problem. I
personally wouldn't do this in multi-user mode though.

Fetch new source and do 'cd /usr/src; make world'. I have done this with
little trouble.

Run 'cvsup' and sup the new source and then 'make world'. I have also done
this with little trouble. I like this method the best. Once you have cvsup
you can keep your sources up to date by tracking -stable. This lets you
get bug and security fixes pretty much automatically. You can run cvsup
and make world on a running system then (if all goes well) the only down
time you will have is a couple minutes for the reboot.

Save your self a hassle and be sure to backup all of your configuration
files at a bare minimum. If you use '/stand/sysintall' to do the upgrade
be sure to _NOT_ change your disklabels.

The jump to 2.2.8 might cause some breakages. I also recommend rebuilding
your kernel after you rebuild your system.

All of the information on how to do this is on the website.

Catchya Later,		|	UW Mechanical Engineering
Jason Wells		|	http://weber.u.washington.edu/~jcwells/