Date:      Tue, 18 May 2004 16:23:55 +0100
From:      Richard Bradley <rtb27@cam.ac.uk>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   IMPS/2 for mouse-wheel not supported

Hi,

I have a brand new Microsoft optical wheel mouse with a 'tilt wheel'.

It works as a 3-button mouse under X with:

	Option      "Protocol"	"PS/2"
	Option      "Device"	"/dev/psm0"

but the wheel doesn't work (i.e. doesn't even show up in `xev`)

The X documentation:
[ http://www.xfree86.org/current/mouse6.html ]
seems to suggest that I use either IMPS/2 or ExplorerPS/2, but both of these
fail with "Protocol not supported".

Does FreeBSD support "PS/2 mouse initialization" (which the above link says is
required for these protocols)? Is there a kernel module I need to enable
this?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Rich