Date:      Fri, 6 Sep 1996 08:09:54 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Christopher J. Michaels" <cjm2@ACSU.Buffalo.EDU>
To:        Kent Vander Velden <graphix@iastate.edu>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: terminal question

Kent,
  I have the same prblem as you and have found that the program 'screen'
does (among many other things) vt100 emulation.  IT works 99% of the time
for me.
  If you are unfamiliar with 'screen' and what it does I suggest that you
study the manpage before using it.  IT can be found in the packages
collection.
  If anyone has any better ideas let me know.

On Fri, 6 Sep 1996, Kent Vander Velden wrote:

>   There is one small thing that bugs me about FreeBSD that I hope that
> someone can help me with... :)
>
>   My kernel is configured to use the sc console driver.
>
>   When I login on the console and connect to a remote machine (telnet or
> kermit) just many full screen text applications are just about useless.
> I suspect this is due to the different terminal types.  I use vt100 on
> the remote side and cons25 on the local side.
>
>   I have tried setting the local terminal type to vt100 but that did not
> seem to help.  The remote side does not have this cons25 type.
>
>   In order to use vt100 emulation will I need to switch to the vt
> console driver?  I guess that I could give that anohter try but the last
> time that I tried it I was more impressed with the sc console driver.
>
>   For the time being I just have to startup X when I want to use
> anything that uses the full screen.
>
>   Thanks.
>
> ---
> Kent Vander Velden
> graphix@iastate.edu

 -Christopher Michaels                         Student Consultant:645-3542
* E-Mail:                                           cjm2@acsu.buffalo.edu *
* Homepage:                             http://www.acsu.buffalo.edu/~cjm2 *