Date:      Wed, 22 Nov 2000 11:09:27 -0000
From:      Daniel Bye <Daniel.Bye@uk.uu.net>
To:        'Zero Sum' <count@shalimar.net.au>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: Demonic Naming service.

Not all IPs have reverse DNS setup.  Whether or not a given address can
be resolved backwards through DNS depends on who owns the CIDR block that
it comes from, and on their policy with regard to reverse DNS.  Generally,
mail servers have reverse DNS configured, but there is no reason (except
manners and convenience) to do the same for ALL addresses in a given net-
range.

If the owner of the CIDR block religiously sets up reverse DNS, all is
good.  However, many ISPs leave this decision to the individual customer-
and it then becomes their responsibility to look after the reverse DNS.

So, just because you can't resolve an IP address to a name doesn't mean
that it is spoofed (incidentally, are they logegd as TCP connections?  If
so, it is very hard to spoof TCP connections, because of the need for
acknowledgement packets after each data packet...).  All it means is that
the authority that owns the CIDR block, or the authority that owns the
net block, hasn't set up reverse DNS, for whatever reason.

Dan.