Date:      Mon, 12 May 2014 15:52:37 +0200
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        Matthew Pherigo <hybrid120@gmail.com>
Cc:        Jack Richard <jackrichard43@gmail.com>, "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD on disc

On Sun, 11 May 2014 10:12:22 -0500, Matthew Pherigo wrote:
> FreeBSD itself primarily targets servers (which is why it
> doesn't come with a gui by default), so you may have a
> better experience with PC-BSD.

While I second the primary intention of your statement as
a suggestion for PC-BSD, I do not agree that FreeBSD is a
"servers first" OS. In fact, FreeBSD is a multi-purpose
operating system suitable for desktops, servers, laptops
or even low-resource embedded or old computers. It can
also be used for "mixed forms" (e. g. a laptop acting as
a server while providing a desktop functionality). In order
to perform that way, it does (of course) not come with a
GUI installer per default (which would make it unsuitable
for servers with no graphics hardware). FreeBSD also is
able to be a base for getting hardware running which all
differend kind of "autodetect magic" does not properly
recognize. This can turn even crappy netbooks into valuable
citizens of the world again. :-)

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany