Date:      Wed, 8 Mar 2000 12:06:48 +0100 (MET)
From:      hm@hcs.de (Hellmuth Michaelis)
To:        archie@whistle.com (Archie Cobbs)
Cc:        freebsd-isdn@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ijppp for isdn, ppp compression, and netgraph (also: load balancing)

(CC: stripped)

From the keyboard of Archie Cobbs:

> Here is my list of things that 'should be done' at some point:
>
>   1. Implement the various PPP compression types as netgraph nodes,
>      starting with Deflate, then maybe predictor-1, STAC (if we can
>      do it legally), and MPPC (same thing).

Sounds good. The link in the original mail points to a Linux (GPL)
implementation of the STAC compression. Since i was under the impression
that STAC is patented, i've contacted the author about this and it seems
that STAC either did not notice his implementation, does not care about
it, or that it is legal to reimplement it here in Germany or Europe.

Perhaps it might be possible to use this somehow, or at least provide
hooks to use it ...

>   2. We should come up with a 'standard' netgraph control message
>      API for an ISDN basic rate interface, and have i4b implement
>      this interface.  Then mpd/ppp/etc can "know" this interface
>      and therefore work automatically with any ISDN BRI device.
>      Here is the interface that we use at Whistle:
>        ftp://ftp.whistle.com/pub/archie/netgraph/ng_tn.h
>      (note: the switch types are #defined in another file but include
>      all of the usual suspects: ETSI, NI-1, AT&T, DMS100, etc.)

The problem here is, that the Whistle ISDN stack has a fundamentally
different view of the world than i4b has :-) As far as i understood it,
the Whistle ISDN stack is almost completely configurable by using
netgraph messages whereas i4b is configured by its isdnd config file.

I have made some experiments with mppd over the i4b netgraph b-channel
interface and it works beautifully here without any additional
configuration messages necessary. But i have no idea, if the real world
demands some control messages, such as dial, dial a number, hangup etc.

Any ideas how to proceed with this ?

hellmuth
--
Hellmuth Michaelis                                    Tel   +49 40 55 97 47-70
HCS Hanseatischer Computerservice GmbH                Fax   +49 40 55 97 47-77