Date:      Sun, 08 Nov 1998 18:42:56 +0000
From:      Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>
To:        "Ghulam Dastgir" <banta@ghulam.force9.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Getting User PPP working for FBSD 2.2.6

> Hi,
>
> I've followed the instructions on my online handbook and configured User =
> PPP. I'm a typical home user with dynamically allocated IP addresses.
>
> Anyway, when I try to start a straight-forward ppp connection (I've not =
> included any "auto" options etc yet) to my local ISP (by typing "dial =
> ISP" at the ppp prompt) I get a host of error/warning messages like: add =
> route failed; 0.0.0.0:errno:network is unreachable; DialModem:dial =
> failed.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> I've included my main configuration /etc/ppp/ppp.conf below. For the =
> sake of brevity I've not included my other files (though I've double =
> checked them as well - if you want I can supply these?).
>
> =20
>
> /etc/ppp/ppp.conf:-
>
> default:
>
> set device /dev/cuaa0
>
> set speed 115200
>
> set dial "ABORT BUSY ABORT NO\\sCARRIER TIMEOUT 5 \"\" ATE1Q0 OK-AT-OK =
> \\dATDT\\T TIMEOUT 40 CONNECT"
>
> ISP:
>
> set phone "08451422000"
>
> set login "TIMEOUT 10 gin:-BREAK-gin: ghulam word: ghu1am col:ppp"
>
> set timeout 120
>
> deny lqr=20
>
> set ifaddr 10.0.0.1/0 10.0.0.2/0 255.255.255.0 0.0.0.0
>
> delete ALL
>
> add 0 0 HISADDR

*sigh* I suppose I'll answer this *AGAIN*.  Look at the FAQ, or even
at these lists... The first suggestion people make is that you might
want to enable logging to see what ppp is actually doing.  When you
do that, you'll see that after sending ghulam as your password (I
take it that's a fake password!), you're expecting your ISP to send
``col:ppp''.  I'd be surprised if this is really what you want.

Perhaps there's a space missing somewhere ?

Also, I take it your mailer not only mangled your message into html,
but also stripped the leading spaces that you have in your config
file.  The only lines that should not be indented are the labels
themselves.  Later versions of ppp look out for this and moan a bit
when they see unindented lines that don't have a ``:'' as the last
character.

      <http://www.Awfulhak.org>;