Date:      Tue, 29 May 2001 15:32:38 +0300
From:      Alexandru Popa <razor@ldc.ro>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Strange ata0/ad0 messages - possible hardware problem

Here is a relevant part from my dmesg, from a 4.3-STABLE system last
updated about a week ago:

atapci0: <Intel PIIX4 ATA33 controller> port 0xf000-0xf00f at device 7.1 on pci0
ata0: at 0x1f0 irq 14 on atapci0
ata1: at 0x170 irq 15 on atapci0
ad0: 12416MB <QUANTUM FIREBALLlct08 13> [25228/16/63] at ata0-master UDMA33
ad2: 4125MB <FUJITSU MPC3043AT> [8940/15/63] at ata1-master UDMA33
acd0: CDROM <CRD-8483B> at ata1-slave using PIO4
Mounting root from ufs:/dev/ad0s1a
ad0: READ command timeout tag=0 serv=0 - resetting
ata0: resetting devices .. done

I was to right in front of the machine at the time the last two messages
happened, and I heard a strange noise - it sounded like the hard drive
taking a shock or like its power being cut off for a second, because,
apart from the hit, I heard the thing spin up again.  The system was not
idle, as I had been running X and netscape a few minutes before - both
reside on ad0, so power saving is not an issue.

Anyone have any ideas what could have caused this?  Can a disk head
crash sound like that?  How soon should I hurry and get a new hdd?  I am
going to check the power cables first, as I have had problems with those
on a different system where the CD drive would not work at random times.

Thanks for the help
	Alex

[please Cc me on the replies, I only read -stable and -security]