Date:      Wed, 15 Nov 2000 14:50:56 -0700 (MST)
From:      "Chad R. Larson" <chad@DCFinc.com>
To:        dmmiller@cvzoom.net (Donn Miller)
Cc:        dillon@earth.backplane.com, wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu, stable@FreeBSD.ORG, mckusick@mckusick.com
Subject:   Re: Any outstanding soft-updates or FFS bugs (matching this  description)?

As I recall, Donn Miller wrote:
> Matt Dillon wrote:
>>     I've had filesystems blow up under test when filling a parition
>>     with softupdates turned on.  The most recent time was last
>>     weekend while I was testing low-memory stuff.
> It would be nice if the softupdates code (or maybe other kernel code
> could do this) could detect when filesystem space is running low, and
> kick into some "fail-safe" mode.  For example, when the free space drops
> below 15%, softupdates could automatically shut itself off, and then
> turn itself back on when the free space rises above 20% (hysteresis).

I might be wrong, but some of the studies I've done leave me
suspecting that your filesystem is probably in better shape with
softupdates on when the filesystem runs dry, barring bugs of course.

	-crl
--
Chad R. Larson (CRL15)   602-953-1392   Brother, can you paradigm?
chad@dcfinc.com         chad@larsons.org          larson1@home.net