Date:      Tue, 3 Sep 2002 03:05:38 -0400
From:      Jim Brown <jpb@sixshooter.v6.thrupoint.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD-update

* John Chang <johnec@umich.edu> [2002-09-02 19:34]:
> Newbie.  What are the different ways of updating/upgrading the OS, Apache,
> MySql?  What are the pros and cons?  If I want the OS to be as basic as
> possible so that it only has what I need What is the best way to do it?
>
> Thank you.

There are two different questions here:

To get the most basic FreeBSD, choose the "Smallest installation possible"
from the istallation menu (can't remember the exact wording, but it's there.)

You get a basic OS, no development and no fancy applications.

To simplify your use of various applications, use the FreeBSD ports tree,
and use the 'portupgrade' port.  However, to use this stuff, you'll need
to install more than the smallest possbile distro.  Choose a
basic user, or basic developer distro.

Lots of reading ahead of you. The FreeBSD Handbook at
http://www.freebsd.org/handbook
is very helpful.

HTH,
jpb