Date:      Sun, 21 Nov 2010 19:44:57 +0100 (CET)
From:      Barbara <barbara.xxx1975@libero.it>
To:        <marcus@freebsd.org>, Michal Varga <varga.michal@gmail.com>
Cc:        gnome@freebsd.org
Subject:   R: Re: Cairo 1.10 broken for nvidia users

>On 11/21/10 1:02 PM, Michal Varga wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> cairo 1.10 update introduces a terrible performance hit and other bugs
>> for at least nvidia users. Workspace switching takes whole seconds,
>> window scrolling tears and jumps, some applications take forever to just
>> redraw, all depressed GTK buttons are drawn few pixels off, and this is
>> probably just the start. Happens both with and without GL backend
>> enabled.
>>
>> Downgrading to cairo-1.8.10_1,1 returns everything back to normal, could
>> anyone else confirm?
>>
>> On related note, this might be of some importance, see further in the
>> thread:
>>
>> http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=156885
>>
>> Excerpts:
>>
>> "It seems cairo 1.10 causes the NVIDIA driver to hit lots of CPU
>> fallback code. Using 1.8 returns performance back to normal on all
>> fronts."
>>
>> "Fedora's cairo doesn't include cairo-1.10.0-buggy_gradients.patch, so
>> file a bug with Fedora's bugzilla."
>>

>> Anyway, I didn't test the mentioned patch yet, as I need a working
>> system atm, but planning to get to it eventually, if nobody else
>> checks/confirms sooner.
>
>Can anyone confirm this patch?  The patch can be downloaded from:
>
>http://repos.archlinux.org/wsvn/packages/cairo/trunk/cairo-1.10.0-
buggy_gradients.patch?op=dl&rev=100207&peg=100207&

>Joe

The only evident problem I can see is the one with buttons as reported before.
No problems with workspace switching, windows scrolling etc., and apparently
no problem with performances.
Anyway after rebuilding the port with the patch, the buttons looks fine.

Barbara