Date:      Thu, 11 Jan 1996 10:53:20 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: samba and win95

> > As far as I know, it isn't. smbclient is fine to access files "by hand"
> > or crash WNT servers. That's all. You can't mount a SMB volume
> > under Unix.
>
> No, not really `mount' in the Unix sense of `mount a file system'
> (unless you're running Linux :).  But you can get access to those
> files, even a recursive `get' operation is available.

If you are using Linux's SMBFS, it's not "in the Unix sense", it's in
the Linux sense.

In particular, there are issues about when credentials are evaluated.
For NetWare, LanMan, etc., credentials are evaluated on connect,
where the machine authenticates to the server as a single user.

There is no way, short of implementing a VMS style broadcast mechanism
and a finite state automaton for the terminals (every wonder why Wyse 50's
suck for VMS?) so that broadcast delivery is blocked unless the automaton
is at ground state.

Even then, you are potentially screwed by certain issues, unless you
force the automaton (and thus the terminal) back to ground state
after a broadcast including escape sequences.

You need the broadcast mechanism to allow the kernel to ask each user
for authentication information.

Your "client" will need one "netname" per user contacting each server,
and you will probably need aliasing to distinguish inbound packets, which
are sent to hardware address after the cache lookup for the request.

This *could* work on NetWare if you have a NetWare 3.x orr above only
and used an internal network with a pseudo node per client (like in
the NUC product).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---