Date:      Tue, 10 Dec 1996 08:36:49 -0600 (CST)
From:      bugs@freebsd.netcom.com (Mark Hittinger)
To:        taob@io.org (Brian Tao)
Cc:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: URGENT: Packet sniffer found on my system

> all but six setuid root binaries chmod 500'd.  The Web/FTP server does
> not grant shell access.  Is there something with Apache 1.1.1 or
> wu-ftpd I don't know about that allows a user to execute arbitrary
> code as root?  I noticed lpr still had its setuid bit on the FTP
> server, but afaik, there is no way to tell wu-ftpd to run arbitrary
> programs as root.  We are running wu-ftpd 2.4(1).
>     Any ideas how root access was available so easily?

The wu-ftpd looks a little old - it probably does not have Hobbit's fixes
in it.  You might want to get the beta-11 of wu-ftpd and put that up.  The
beta-11 incorporates Hobbit's fixes.

Look at cgiwrap for the cgi's on the apache server, look at hacking ftpd
to chroot.  Make sure users can't create .forward or .rhost files in their
ftp directory.  Get rid of hosts.equiv - make sure the rlogin/rsh/rcp stuff
is disabled.  Look at secure rpcbind from ftp.cert.org.  Good luck.

Regards,

Mark Hittinger
Netcom/Dallas
bugs@freebsd.netcom.com