Date:      Thu, 13 May 2010 21:15:25 -0700
From:      Doug Barton <dougb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-rc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Patch for early rc.d scripts

The patch at http://people.freebsd.org/~dougb/early-rc.diff does the
following for the scripts that run up till FILESYSTEMS (the default
early_late_divider):
1. Move as many BEFOREs to REQUIREs as possible.
2. Move sysctl to run first
3. Minor effect, move hostid_save from right before mdconfig to right after.

My original purpose for working on this was that while doing some
debugging on other stuff I noticed that the order of execution was
different in the first pass through the early scripts and the second. In
practice that doesn't matter because the scripts are not executed the
second time. However this _can_ result in problems if the difference in
the rcorder moves a script from the late section to the early section in
the second pass (which would mean the script would not get executed).
So, I wanted to make the order of execution of the scripts in the early
section deterministic.

In the course of debugging the ordering problems I noticed that moving
the BEFOREs to REQUIREs prevented the changes in order from the first
pass to the second pass without having to make any other changes. (Of
course it's no secret that I think BEFORE should be avoided as much as
possible, but this is a good example of why.)

The one substantial change I made is run sysctl first. A lot of the
early scripts make use of sysctl one way or another. Running this first
makes a lot of sense to me given that system-critical values are often
placed in sysctl.conf, and I can't see any downsides. Please let me know
if I've missed something.

Please review my work, and let me know if you see any problems. I don't
regard this as urgent, but I would like to get it in within the next week.

Regards,

Doug

			-- Propellerheads