Date:      Wed, 04 Dec 2002 12:57:36 -0800
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Annoying hangs with mini-PCI 802.11b card on stable

I have suddenly developed a problem with the wireless mini-PCI card in
my IBM T30. When in my Berkeley office, but not at other locations, my
wireless card takes over the system even though it is not in
use. There is probably some wireless AP in the area, but I am not
associating with it. I am using on the Intel 10/100 mini-PCI wired
interface.

I get a long series of messages starting with:
wi0: watchdog timeout
wi0: wi_cmd: busy bit won't clear.
which repeats a few times and is followed by
wi0: init failed
wi0: timeout in wi_seek to fcxx/0; last status 800b
which repeats several times with various values for the 'xx'.
I also get he occasional:
wi0: failed to allocate 1594 bytes on NIC
wi0: tx buffer allocation failed OR wi0:mgmt. buffer allocation failed

I'd love to simply fix the problem, but that looks unlikely at the
moment. The next option is to simply be able to disable the card when
I am not using it. (I'd like to do this for power savings, as well.)

Is there any way to turn this off with stable? I can turn it off in
Windows, so I know that hardware can do it.

Thanks,

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)