Date:      Thu, 8 Nov 2001 13:15:02 +0100
From:      "Jose M. Alcaide" <jose@we.lc.ehu.es>
To:        "David O'Brien" <obrien@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Should we keep the vim5 port?

On Wed, Nov 07, 2001 at 03:26:33PM -0800, David O'Brien wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 07, 2001 at 07:07:47PM +0100, Jose M. Alcaide wrote:
> > BTW, is there any reason for not building with GTK as default? This is the
> > "recommended" GUI by the Vim author, I think.
>
> Please do not be vauge.  I assume you are talking about the vim5 port and
> not the vim[6] port.  But I cannot tell for sure.

Sorry. I misinterpreted the vim[6] Makefile. And I have just read the
commit log for its rev. 1.116. Obviously I got the answer to my question.

I agree with your objections to GTK. However, IMHO there is another reason
for defaulting to GTK: there are *lots* of ports (besides GNOME itself)
which depend on GTK; on the contrary, there are less ports needing
OpenMotif (though I use at least three: ddd, xmcd and xephem ;-) ). Many
users will be using GNOME and other GTK-based applications sharing the GTK
libs and the GUI.

  Regards,
  JMA
--
****** Jose M. Alcaide  //  jose@we.lc.ehu.es  //  jmas@FreeBSD.org ******
** "Beware of Programmers who carry screwdrivers" --  Leonard Brandwein **