Date:      Wed, 14 Aug 1996 07:40:26 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Brad Parker <brad@american.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   kernel rot after a week or so

I'm running 2.1.5-R on a P133 w/32mb, pci adaptec (2970?) controller.
It's on the MBONE and is running mrouted-3.8.

Every week or so it starts core dumping executables right and left.
(rshd, login, ftpd, reboot... you name it).

It did this yesterday - I looked at reboot.core and found that the
"code" it was executing was all zeros - at least in the core file.
I have seen this behavior, once, correlated with massive routing
updates from the MBONE.

(also note, I saw this behavior once and a while with 2.1.0-R)

I have not subscribed to -stable before today (I didn't realize it
existed - oops - I've been reading -current), so take pity if this
is know.

-brad