Date:      Fri, 25 Apr 1997 01:36:02 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Randall Hopper <rhh@ct.picker.com>
Cc:        multimedia@freebsd.org, John-Mark Gurney <gurney_j@resnet.uoregon.edu>, Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>, Steve Passe <smp@csn.net>
Subject:   Re: Updated driver (bt848-970424)

On Thu, 24 Apr 1997, Randall Hopper wrote:

> DRIVER UPDATE: bt848-970424
>
> This is a merge of all the latest features:
>     - Amancio's clipping, frame sync, and frame base addr adjustment for
>       rows < CIF
>     - John-Mark's pixel FIFO byte/short swapping
>     - My enhanced pixel format I/F, w/ 565 16bpp and packed 24bpp (3Bpp)
>       support; also fixed ODD_ONLY CAP-SINGLEs and added CAP_SINGLE
>       failure cleanup
>
> That's the summary.

Okay people, time for my usual gripes...and some info.

Yes, 24 bit still doesn't work.  15 & 16 bit do though and that is nice!
I can run vic and tv simultaneously now without having to swap Xservers.
;)

Here is the info I've collected as per randall's instructions:

The screenshot I have is different from the screen display.

The following bars displayed on my screen:
BAR# FROM LEFT  ORIGINAL COLOR IF COLORS WERE RIGHT
4 		 cyan
5 		 green
8 	 	 blue

The rest were black.  See
http://resnet.uoregon.edu/dwhite/24bit-ximage.gif for screenshot.

The colors come out properly if -nobswap4Bpp or -nowswap4Bpp are set on
the command line.

fxtv -debug startup output:
./fxtv

Querying Supported Capture Pixel Formats:
   bpp  Bpp  R,G,B Masks                   Swap
   ---  ---  ----------------------------  ----
    15   2   00007c00, 000003e0, 0000001f  NB
    16   2   0000f800, 000007e0, 0000001f  NB
    24   3   00ff0000, 0000ff00, 000000ff   B
    24   4   00ff0000, 0000ff00, 000000ff  NBWb

XF86DGAQueryVersion() succeeded - version = 1.00

Rating Available Visuals:
   Rating  Class        bpp  Bpp  R,G,B Masks                   Swap  DirectVid
   ------  -----------  ---  ---  ----------------------------  ----  ---------
     4     TrueColor     24   4   000000ff, 0000ff00, 00ff0000   --      No
Default Visual is 24-bpp TrueColor

XF86VidModeQueryVersion() succeeded - version = 0.07
Active visual does not support direct video
  ...backing off and using XImages

I can trace this to TVCAPTUREGetPixFmtsblahblahblah :) finding that
TVCAPTUREQueryblahblah returns -1 since it appears there are no pixfmts to
use.  I found this trying to override the direct display check that was
easy to do in 0.40.  I couldn't figure out how to convince it that it's
okay to do direct video -- it does the same check 5 or 6 times in the code
and I wasn't sure if telling it that data existed when it really didn't
would be such a great idea.

I'll play with this later, need to sleep....