Date:      Fri, 13 Nov 2009 22:00:43 +0200
From:      Alexander Motin <mav@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Patrick Proniewski <patpro@patpro.net>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Adaptec 1405 on FreeBSD

Patrick Proniewski wrote:
> Any idea about the FreeBSD support for Adaptec 1405 (ASC-1405)?

I doubt. It is more SAS then SATA card.

> Any PCIe card suggestion is appreciated.

FreeBSD 6.x is already legacy. If you are building something new, you
should look forward. What I have tested:
- SiI3124-based - fast and functional. It is actually PCI-X one, but
there are many boards with built-in PCIe bridges.
- two SiI3132-based (Adaptec 1420SA and many others) - as cheap PCIe x1
alternative (max 150MB/s per card). These two better supported with new
siis(4) driver on 8.0, but should work on 7.x with ata(4), haven't
looked lower.
- First generation of SiI chips (SiI3114). They are quite old - SATA1
and PCI, but they are long-time supported and they take all possible
from PCI bus, and in 66MHz PCI-X slot can give even more. But I have
heard some negative comments about them.
- Supermicro SAT2-MV8 on Marvell - recently tested it on 8.0, supported
in 7.x and probably before. Adaptec 1420SA is from the same series. But
they are PCI-X (tested it in PCI).
- Adaptec 1430SA - PCIe, based on newer Marvell chip. Added basic
support recently to 8-STABLE. Not supported before.
- most of chipset-integrated controllers (Intel, NVidia) are really not
bad when working in AHCI mode (they are not limited by bus speed).
- JMicron-based PCIe x1 adapters. They are cheap, AHCI-compatible and
not so bad, but limited by bus speed at about 180MB/s per card.

--
Alexander Motin